The Ministry of the Interior has slapped a curfew on the Alavanyo and Nkonya following a renewed clash between the two communities.
The curfew hours take effective Sunday, April 23, 2017 from 8:00pm to 5:30am.
The decision by the Interior Ministry was upon the advice of the Volta Regional Security Council.
Mr. Ambrose Dery, the Minister of the Interior, had earlier on Wednesday renewed the curfew hours imposed on Alavanyo and Nkonya townships from 11:00 pm to 5:00 am.
But in a statement released on Sunday, the Minister commended the Chiefs, elders, opinion leaders, youth and people of the area for their efforts in ensuring peace in the area and urged them to use the established mechanisms for the resolution of all their conflicts and disputes.
He reiterated the ban on all persons in the two towns and their environs from carrying arms, ammunition or any offensive weapons, stressing that any person found with any arms or ammunition will be arrested and prosecuted.
Two people are reported dead while others sustained various degrees of injuries in a renewed clash between Nkonya and Alavanyo last week.
The incident was reported to have occurred some few hours after the curfew imposed on the two communities were reviewed.
What triggered the renewed conflict was immediately not known.
The Kpando Divisional Police Commander, Chief Superintendent Prosper Ahlidza, who confirmed the renewed clash, said the incident occurred last around 7 to 8pm.
The perpetrators of the act, he noted, were alleged to have come from Alavanyo.
“Two people were shot dead and two injured at Nkonya Ahenkro around 7 to 8 O’clock in the evening. There are soldiers on the ground. They are monitoring events because the attack was coming from that direction,” the Police Commander was quoted as saying on Accra based Joy FM, Thursday morning.
The Volta Regional Minister, Dr. Archibald Letsa, when contacted said the situation calls for emergency meeting of all stakeholders to ensure that peace returns to the two communities.